Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Round Rock Man Gets 2xLife for Child Porn; Priest Sex Abuse Hit Man Case Settled (for now)

via the Statesman.
A Round Rock man pleaded guilty to two counts of promotion of child pornography and was sentenced to two life sentences, Williamson County District Attorney John Bradley said in a statement.
Judge Ken Anderson ordered that the sentences for Kevin Charles Baley, 35, run consecutively.
According to the statement:
“In April 2010, a New Hampshire undercover investigator contacted Round Rock Police Department and reported that Baley, a Round Rock resident, had been corresponding online with the investigator, who had been pretending to be a 13-year old boy. The investigator explained that he met Baley on a website frequented by pedophiles. He also reported that Baley had sent sexually explicit messages and e-mailed pornographic photos. Based on this and additional information, Round Rock officers obtained a search warrant for Baley’s house and seized several computers, digital storage devices and printed materials. A subsequent forensic examination revealed over 1,500 photographs and 50 video clips of graphic child pornography. Police also found printed child pornography materials in Baley’s bedroom.
During an interview with Round Rock police, Baley confessed to communicating with what he thought was a young boy. He admitted was a pedophile and preferred contact with prepubescent children. He explained, “I know it’s a messed up way of thinking, but looking at the pictures keeps me from reoffending or finding another victim.” Baley had previously been convicted of indecency with a child in Williamson County, serving 10 years in prison for molesting a 10-year old girl in 1994.”

Also from the Statesman:
A lawsuit against a Roman Catholic priest — who is set to appear in court this week on criminal charges of soliciting a hit man to kill his teenage accuser — has been settled for nearly $1 million.
John Fiala was a priest in the West Texas community of Rocksprings in 2007 when, the lawsuit says, he began molesting a then-16-year-old boy.
The Archdiocese of San Antonio announced last week that it had settled a lawsuit brought by the youth for $946,000.
In November, the 52-year-old Fiala was arrested near Dallas on charges of trying to hire someone to kill the youth.
He is charged with one count of solicitation of capital murder and is being held on $700,000 bail.
Fiala is scheduled to appear in a Dallas County court Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment